Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Enjoy Summer’s Bounty
Tips on Maintaining Quality and Safety of Produce
Summer brings an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. Remember these tips when purchasing produce at the grocery store, nearby farmer’s markets or picking from your garden.
• Select fruits and vegetables that are not bruised, shriveled, moldy or slimy. If
vegetables or fruits are pre-packaged, be sure the surfaces are not bruised
• Buy only what you need. For optimum flavor and nutritional value use fruits and
vegetables within a few days.
• Promptly store any produce that needs to be refrigerated.
• Wash produce under cool, running water just before you use it. This applies to all
fruits and vegetables, even if you don’ eat the rind or skin, such as melons and
oranges. Washing a melon can help remove any bacteria that could be
transferred onto the inside fruit when the melon is sliced open with a knife.
• Leafy greens, such as lettuce, should be rinsed before refrigerating to maintain
crispness. Paper towels placed between the greens will slow deterioration.
• Do not use detergent when washing fruits and vegetables. Use a vegetable brush
to scrub hearty vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots, if you want to eat the
fiber- and nutrient-rich skin.
• Keep refrigerators clean and cold. Cover and refrigerate produce you have cut.
Refrigerator temperature should be between 37 and 39 degrees F.
• Clean surfaces, utensils and hands before handling fresh produce.
• Wash your hands thoroughly after using the bathroom, changing diapers and
before preparing food.
• Read and follow label instructions such as “keep refrigerated” or “use by” dates.
• Keep prepared fruit salads and other cut produce items in the refrigerator until just
before serving. Discard cut produce items if they have been out of the refrigerator
for four hours or more.
North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension Successful Family