Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Step Up to the Challenge
Staircases can take your family to new levels of fitness. These games are fun, physical and don’t require any special equipment. Plus, almost anyone can participate.
Find the stairs
• Wherever you go throughout the day, challenge your family to find and climb
every stairway they can. The person who scales the most stairways, even
if it is only one step, wins!
• Curbs, doorways, and stepping up into the car can count, too. Walk around
the mall, the school, or your neighborhood to discover how many places
• Count escalators only if you walk up or down as they move.
Count the steps
• Select a timeframe for this game – from 10 minutes to an hour to a whole day.
• Each member of the family counts how many steps they went up or down in that
period and keeps a log of the count.
• Get older kids to help the little ones keep count.
• Challenge the family to a whole week of step-tracking and keep a tally board
• The person who tackles the most stairs in the set time wins.
Up and back – again and again
• Lace up your sneakers for a stair-climbing race!
• Find a long set of stairs and stand at the bottom.
• Race up and down – once, twice or more.
• Race individually, group ages together or create teams to make it a relay.
• Want to make it harder? Do a set going up the stairs backwards!
• Race next to handrails to stay safe.
Get family fun
Missed any of our
to view them.