Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Look beyond the finish line
As part of Armed Forces Day activities in May, military dependants participate in America’s Kids Run. Enter the event this year, then continue to train with the family for next year’s event. Make fitness your family’s goal!
The America’s Kids Run can be the start of a fun tradition of racing as a family. Walk, jog, run or bike: You’re sure to find events in the area that fit everyone in the group. Enter a race once a month or once a year, and keep training as individuals and as a family in between.
Find potential races
• Look in your local paper or online
• Talk to specialty shops (bicycles, fitness gear)
• Check with the base Adult Fitness Center or HAWC
Set a goal that works for each person
• Pick a distance goal for each family member: One mile, 5K or 10K
Create a training plan
• Set up a course in your neighborhood to track your improvement
• Train at a longer distance than the race you are planning to enter
Keep the goal as fun and fitness, not only speed
• Encourage everyone to go at their own pace
• Build confidence by meeting or exceeding small distance or speed goals
Pick a race that includes everyone
• Some races allow jogging strollers and pets
• Walk/jog races are common
Make it fun
• Take time before the race begins to talk, play around, and enjoy your time together
• Many races have an after-party with food, drinks and/or live entertainment – attend
as a family
Make it meaningful
• Join in raising money for the race charity
Celebrate your accomplishments
• Create a photo album of your family at the finish lines
• Make a poster with goals and completion dates
• Give each person a ribbon for entering/finishing a race
Get family fun
Missed any of our
to view them.