Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Build – or Rebuild – an Active Family
Summers can be – wait for it – BORING! Sure, you teens are happy to NOT be in school, but admit it: You miss the social aspects of school, and maybe some of the physical activity too.
Here’s our FitFamily challenge: Get everyone you know moving this summer. Shake off your lazy tendencies and encourage your whole family to do the same.
- Dig out the toys you packed away that encourage physical activity, like balls, kites, and jump ropes. Play with them again yourself and teach younger kids the ins and outs of how to make the most of them. Research new games with old toys and they’ll be fresh again.
- Join a summer sports team.
- Volunteer to help with a summer sports team for younger or older kids.
- Try a new activity like competitive swimming or diving, roller skating, rugby or soccer.
- Limit the amount of time you sit in front of the TV or on video games.
- Walk with the family before or after dinner. Or both.
- Offer to walk a neighbor’s dog all summer long. Take friends and family along as often as possible.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator when you go to the mall.
- If your family regularly watches TV together, encourage everyone to get up and do a few squats, sit-ups or pushups during commercials. When you watch a movie together, build in an intermission for an active break.
- Create a family fun day and be the planning genius who gets everyone together to swim, bike, hike, or play Frisbee.
Get Family Fun
Missed any of our
to view them.