Mardi Gras Creole The color and flavors of New Orleans burst through this easy-to-make, deliciously affordable one-dish supper. Using frozen vegetables cuts down on prep time while boosting fiber and nutrition. Serve it over brown rice for a satisfying Southern family meal. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Chicken ‘n Veggies
• Cooking spray
• 1 pound chicken breast tenders
• 2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry, thawed
• 2 cup frozen cut okra, thawed
• 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
• 3/4 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon ground or flaked red pepper
(or to taste)
• 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1 tablespoon butter
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat
and coat with cooking spray.
2. Add chicken; cook until browned on both sides,
about 3 minutes per side.
3. Add pepper stir-fry veggies, okra, celery, sugar, salt,
thyme and red pepper, stirring to combine.
4. Pour the can of tomatoes (including the liquid) over
the chicken mixture and bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
6. Uncover and stir, then continue cooking uncovered
for an additional 3 minutes.
7. Turn off heat, add parsley and butter, stirring until
butter melts. Serve over rice.
Calories: 199 (20% from fat)
Fat: 4.4g (sat 1.8g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g)
Makes 4 1-cup servings