Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Family Sports & Fitness
How Flexible are You?
The “Sit and Reach Test” is a simple test developed in 1952, and still used by the military today. It’s a great way to evaluate how much flexibility you have in your hips, lower back, and hamstrings – or you can use the same movement to effectively stretch those muscles. By becoming more flexible, you’ll enjoy less lower back pain and be more comfortable doing your everyday activities.
• Sit on the ground with your legs straight out in front of you.
• Press your knees as tight to the ground as they will go.
• Stretch your arms to your toes with your palms facing the ground.
Assess Your Flexibility
• Did you reach your toes?
• Did you reach past your toes?
• Did you only reach to your knees?
Time to add extra stretching to your daily routine.
Try These Simple Stretches
Sit and Reach Stretch
1. Sit in the test position, with your legs straight out in front of you and knees
as tight to the ground as they will go.
2. Place your palms on your thighs, and looking at them, hold the stretch
for 10 seconds.
3. Move your hands to your knees, and hold again for 10 seconds.
4. Go back to your thighs, then to your knees, and then to your lower leg,
holding each for 10 seconds. Continue as far as comfortable.
5. Each day go a little further down your leg, keeping in your comfort zone.
6. Soon you will reach your toes and beyond!
Lay Back Stretch!
1. Lie on your back; bend your right leg, placing your right foot flat on the floor.
2. Raise your left leg, keeping it straight, and face the bottom of your foot up.
3. Reach for your left calf and gently pull the leg toward your chest.
4. Hold for a count of 10.
5. Switch legs.
Repeat each side twice.
Get family fun
Missed any of our
to view them.