Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Family Sports & Fitness
Fitness is a lifestyle, not a diet
To make positive changes in your health you’ll have to do more than just eat better or work out. A healthy lifestyle is the goal – and having a positive outlook and attitude is the first step.
Are you just a dieter or someone on track for a positive lifestyle? Get on that winning path by:
• Gathering the information you need to improve your body image, deal
with emotional eating, or define the type of physical life you want.
• Changing your attitude toward healthy living.
• Setting goals for why you want a healthy life.
• Developing a realistic view of your ultimate healthy body type.
• Understanding that it’s OK to love certain foods without always gorging on them.
There’s a difference between a diet and a lifestyle.
Numbers don’t tell the whole story.
• A diet is all about numbers – the number of calories you eat and burn, the number
on the scale, the number of people who compliment you.
How you feel about yourself is key.
• A lifestyle is about matching your eating and physical activity with your real goals
Your weight is not your goal.
• The key to finding happiness and solving problems is not in your diet. Missing your
weight goal on one day does not mean you are a failure in life.
Focus on the whole you.
• Look at the causes of your over- or under-eating, work on them, and your lifestyle
can go from tense to happy. Remember to look at what is working too.
Focus on internal, permanent changes, not temporary ones.
• Following the rules of a diet, then forgetting the rules when you hit your weight
goal, is a sure path to gaining the weight back. Going on a diet involves an
external and temporary change in eating technique. Counting and measuring
new foods in a fad diet is not enough to change you on the inside.
Take care of yourself emotionally, physically and mentally.
• Change your relationship with food, eating, and physical activity and you
will change your lifestyle.
• Recognize how and why you eat: Avoid eating mindlessly and impulsively
and avoid using food to distract yourself from unpleasant thoughts.
• Take care of what you can control and let the rest take care of itself.
• Your genes, your age, and what has gone before are not in your control.
Today you can change your attitude and behavior. Tomorrow you can repeat
that positive pattern!
Get family fun
Missed any of our
to view them.