Family Sports & Fitness
USA – USA – USA!
The 2012 Summer Olympic Games start soon. Which Olympic sports do you aspire to compete in – or at least imitate?
The 2012 Summer Olympic Games, officially titled the Games of the XXX Olympiad, are scheduled to take place in London, England from July 27th to August 12th, 2012. More than 10,000 athletes from 204 countries will compete in 300 events spanning 26 sports. Let these outstanding athletes inspire you to find your most fit self. Select a few favorites to watch in the competition, then go out and train yourself to your best ability. You might find a new activity you never thought possible.
Some of the 26 Olympic sports are divided into specialty disciplines, for example:
Sports may also include team and/or individual competitions:
The sport called “Athletics” is commonly known as “Track and Field” and is the most entered sport:
• 2000 athletes will compete in 47 events for both men and women
• Track and road, field, and combined events include:
Hurdles, steeplechase, and relay races
100m to 10,000m races
Race waking and marathon running
Long jump, high jump, and triple jumps
Pole vault and shot put
Discus, javelin, and hammer throw
• The US Team has qualified to enter in 28 events including:
Archery, shooting, judo, and wrestling
Basketball, swimming, gymnastics and cycling
• The United States will be represented in two out of the five badminton events: Men’s
doubles and women’s singles
No American has ever medaled in badminton since it became an Olympic sport
• In field hockey, the US women’s team qualified by winning the 2011 Pan American
The US men’s team failed to qualify
• The United States has qualified 20 athletes for shooting events, among them:
Rifle, pistol, skeet and trap
• The United States has qualified wrestlers in all events except the 96 kg
Both men and women compete in wrestling
So what’s the next sport you’ll attempt? Will you be an Olympian some day? You never know until you try.
Get family fun
Missed any of our
to view them.