Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Quick Food – Not Fast Food – For “3 Squares
on the Go” (and healthy snacks, too)
Quick Food – Not Fast Food – For “3 Squares on the Go” (and healthy snacks, too)
Back to school, back to work: The fast-paced life means everyone needs solid nutrition more than ever.
These fast, easy, tasty and filling meal ideas will keep your family happy and on the healthy track – any time of day. They’re flexible too: Just change the portion size and pair them with other foods to transform them from snack to meal and back again.
Whip up egg and vegetable casseroles
• Add low fat cheese to create a quiche
• Cut into portions, wrap individually and freeze. Pop a frozen portion in a
cooler back and it’ll be defrosted in time for lunch. Heat in a microwave or eat cold.
Top whole grain baked goods with nut butter
• Bake a batch of bran muffins early in the week, freeze and then
easily defrost in the microwave
• Make whole grain waffles, enjoy them hot and freeze the leftovers
• Add blueberries or raisins to the batter for added flavor
• Frozen whole grain selections from the grocery store are an easy alternate
Wrap up leftovers in a whole wheat tortilla
• Pack tortillas separately from fillings for a fresher tasting lunch.
Great filling combos:
• Turkey/low fat cheese/veggies
• Avocado slices/beans
• Hummus/cucumber slices
• Add an apple and it’s a meal
Smooth the mornings
• Prepare what you can the night before:
• Blend fruit and yogurt together
• Portion out flax seeds, granola or chopped nuts so you can
just add them without measuring
Crock pot pleasures
• Cut up veggies and lean meat at night and refrigerate the portions
• In the morning, place veggies, meat and low sodium canned vegetable broth
in the crock pot, plug it in and set it to the right heat
• Come home to a ready-to-eat meal
Get family nutrition
information from the
of our previously
posted nutrition tips,
to view them.