1. Choosing to drink water instead of regular soda can save you as many as ____ calories.
Depending on the flavor, a 20-ounce soda ranges from 227-247 calories. Water has 0 calories. Do the math.
2. How many teaspoons of sugar are in 20 ounces of soda?
D. 18 teaspoons
Sugar-loaded drinks have 18 teaspoons (9 packets) of sugar and don’t register with your body as food. So, even after you take in that many calories, you’re still likely to consume even more calories.
3. If you drink just 12 ounces of a high sugar content beverage each day, you can gain up to __ extra pounds in one year.
D. 25 pounds
You can gain 25 pounds of excess weight from drinking just one 12-ounce can of a high sugar beverage each day that takes you over your daily calorie count.
4. Fruit juice concentrates contain added sugar and calories
Sweeteners that add calories to a beverage have many different names and are not always obvious on the ingredients list. Check the calorie and sugar content on the label.
5. 12 ounces of chocolate milk is higher in calories than 12 ounces of soda.
Chocolate milk has 312 calories in 12 ounces, soda has 150-170 calories, but the nutritional value of milk makes it a slightly better choice.
6. Save ___ calories by drinking 8 ounces of 2% milk instead of whole milk.
C. 30 calories
Why not save those 30 calories for a 6 ounce glass of tomato juice later in the day as a snack?
7. Orange juice is lower in calories than apple juice.
Orange juice is only lower by about 10 calories per 12 ounce serving. But lower is lower.
8. Which of these is lowest in calories?
C. Nonfat soy milk
Plain soy milk has 100 calories in 8 ounces, nonfat milk has 83, nonfat soy milk only 68 calories.
9. Sports drinks and energy drinks have the same number of calories.
Sports drinks (like Gatorade) have 94 calories in 12 ounces, energy drinks (like Red Bull) have 160 calories.
10. A small café latte (12 ounces) made with fat-free milk can save you 50 calories over a medium café latte (16 ounces) made with whole milk.
Smaller is better. You can cut 140 calories from your day by choosing the small, fat-free latte.