TIPS – STAY AWAY FROM THESE 10 MOST DANGEROUS LIVING THINGS
Dave Letterman retired from “The Late Show” although his Top 10 list will live on. Here are the Top 10 dangerous critters, creepy-crawlies and large animals that cause death each year. Stay away and stay healthy.
Get fitness tips information
from the FitFamily archives!
If you missed any of our previously
posted Fitness Tips articles,
to view them.
1. Mosquitos. The mosquitos don’t actually cause the death, but carry diseases which cause death such as malaria and dengue. About 1,000, 000 – 2,000,000 people die each year due to mosquito-borne diseases.
2. Snakes. The most dangerous is the cobra. Combined, snakes are responsible for 50,000 deaths worldwide.
3. Dogs. Rabies transmitted by dog bites causes about 25,000 deaths worldwide.
4. Tsetse fly. About 10,000 die annually from sleeping sickness.
5. Assassin bug. Also responsible for 10,000 deaths from Chagas disease.
6. Freshwater snail. About 10,000 deaths annually due to schistosomiasis (bilharzia).
7. Hippopotami. They look harmless, but can run up to 30 miles per hour. Hippos account for 2,900 deaths annually, nearly all of them in Africa.
8. Ascaris roundworm. Responsible for 2,500 deaths.
9. Tapeworm. Responsible for the protruding belly in poor nations, accounts for 2,000 deaths.
10. Scorpions. There are about 2,000 types of scorpion and together they account for 1,000 or more deaths annually.
Not making the Top 10
- Crocodiles (1,000)
- Deer (120)
- Sharks (10)
- Bear (5-10)
(Information from the World Health Organization and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and other sources.)