Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
EASY, NUTRITIOUS FOODS
FOR BREAKFAST ON THE RUN
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Research shows that children and
adults who eat breakfast perform better. Many people say they don’t have time for
breakfast, but there are easy and creative ways to start the day. A healthful breakfast
should have a balance of complex carbohydrates such as cereals or breads, fruits
and vegetables, protein foods such as peanut butter, nuts, eggs, dairy, fish and
meat and a small amount of fat. This mixture gives the body energy for the morning.
Try these ideas for easy and nutritious foods to start the day.
• Rolled tortilla sandwiches made with slices of cheese and ham
• Sandwiches such as turkey and cheese or peanut butter and jelly
• Leftover pizza or any leftover pasta
• Pita bread stuffed with scrambled eggs
• Rolled pancake sandwich made by spreading thin layer of jelly, peanut butter or
applesauce and rolling around a banana or slices of apples
• Homemade muffins with grated carrots, raisins and nuts for added nutrients
• Fruit breads such as banana, strawberry or cranberry
• Cereal bars
• Trail mix made with toasted oat cereal, raisins and nuts
• String cheese
• Milkshake or fruit smoothie made with fresh fruit
• Spoon-free yogurt
• Banana, apple, pear, peach or your favorite fresh fruit
North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension Successful Family
Get family nutrition
information from the
of our previously
posted nutrition tips,
to view them.