Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Put Spring in Your Step
Yikes! If you haven’t been active, winter can take a scary toll on your waistline. There’s nothing like the promise of summer shorts and bathing suits to make that laziness a reality. Why not make Spring Break your family’s opportunity to spring into action for a healthier summer – and year.
Set goals together.
Talk about what you’re going to do this summer and how a healthier lifestyle will make those activities more fun.
Don’t get too crazy about it.
You don’t need to do everything at once to get in shape for spring and summer.
• Change just one or two things like controlling portion size or lowering fat and
• Once that change is a solid habit, initiate another change.
Add more daily physical activity –with the goal of 30 minutes every day.
• Turn off the TV, shut down the computer, hang up the phone and get outside!
• Go for a brisk walk at lunchtime, after dinner, or both.
• Take the stairs whenever you can.
• Wash the family car as a family.
• Get into the garden. Plant, weed, mulch, trim, bag and mow your way to
improved fitness. Take it a step further and plant a family garden filled with
vegetables, fruits and herbs.
• Walk in place or dance while you watch TV.
• Is school or work nearby? Switch from car rides to bicycle rides.
• Plan a family hike at least one weekend a month.
Get family sports and
of our previously
posted sports and
to view them.