Family Fitness IdeasNeed a little inspiration?
Sign up here to receive
the fitness information
you need when it comes
to family fun, nutrition and
sports and fitness!
Make it a Healthier Summer
Sometimes all it takes are a few reminders to get our waistlines back in shape.
Here are a few tips that the whole family can adopt as a year-round routine.
• Choose low fat or fat free milk over whole milk.
• Drink a full glass of water before you sit down to eat a meal.
• Avoid food portions larger than your fist.
• Thirsty? Think water first, then diet sodas, then fruit juice.
• Stretch or do a few sit-ups as soon as you get up.
• Choose fruit for dessert instead of sugary sweets.
• Take the stairs whenever you can and add extras steps to every day.
• Always eat before you go grocery shopping to cut down on impulse buys.
• Always make a grocery list before you shop, and stick to it.
• Use applesauce instead of oil when you bake.
• Add more veggies to your sandwiches or substitute vegetables for meat or
• When eating out, ask that half of what you order be put in a to-go container and
the rest be served at the table. You’ll eat less and have lunch for the next day.
• Take a family walk after dinner every night. Make the walks longer on the
weekends or when other activities aren’t planned.
• Alternate your favorite activity one day with a friend’s favorite activity the next day
to add variety to your workouts!
• Just say no to second helpings. If you’re still hungry, have more veggies, salad or
piece of fruit.
• Cut high calorie foods like cheese and chocolate into small pieces and only eat a
• Switch to nonfat or low fat mayo, salad dressings, sauces, sour cream and
yogurt and other condiments.
• Pack your own healthy snacks and lunch for school – and for work.
• Add berries, bananas or grapes to your breakfast.
• Don’t skip meals. You need the fuel to keep your body healthy.
Get family nutrition
information from the
of our previously
posted nutrition tips,
to view them.