Barley-Mushroom SoupAs the days cool down, warm up your home with this rich-yet-healthy soup. By taking the extra step of sautéing the barley, you’ll get a nuttier flavor from this whole grain.
Saturated fat: 1g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
1½ teaspoons olive oil
1½ cups chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
½ cup uncooked pearl barley
4¾ cups turkey or chicken stock (low-fat preferred)
⅓ cup finely chopped celery
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chopped fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion, carrot, and mushrooms; sauté 7 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Stir in barley, and sauté 2 minutes.
4. Add stock, celery, and salt, and bring to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
6. Add thyme, and cook 5 minutes.
Serves 4 (1½ cups each)
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.