CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Comfort Food Favorites
Satisfying and simple – two of every home cook’s favorite words – are at play in this deliciously creamy soup. We’ve cut the fat from the restaurant version without losing the flavor or texture – and it takes just 30 minutes to make. Best reason to make it at home? No tipping! Note: By lightly sautéing the broccoli before adding the broth, you’ll create a deeper flavor that won’t be overwhelmed by the cheese.
Serves 6, 1⅓ cups each
Total Fat 6.3 g
Satfat 4 g
Monofat 1.8 g
Polyfat 0.4 g
Protein 15.6 g
Carbohydrate 21.7 g
Fiber 2.9 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Iron 1.2 mg
Sodium 897 mg
Calcium 385 mg
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package fresh broccoli florets
2½ cups 2% reduced-fat milk
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed
(such as Velveeta Light)
- Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and broccoli, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth and bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium then cook 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and flour until well blended. Stir milk mixture into hot broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pepper. Remove pot from the heat and add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed mix to the pot and stir before serving. You can also use an immersion blender to lightly blend the mix to a lumpy puree.
Whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner—or anything in between—you’ll want to try these deliciously healthy recipes submitted by other “FitFamilies” members. Just click on the buttons below— there’s something to satisfy everyone’s taste buds!