Cheesy Baked Potato Soup
With the busy holiday season approaching, and cooler weather for most of us, this slow-cooker recipe becomes the perfect go-to bowl of creamy comfort. The added bonus is how flexible it is – everyone can add their own garnish.
Total fat: 6.4g
Saturated fat: 3.9g
Monounsaturated fat: 2g;
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
3 bacon slices
1 cup chopped onion
3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
½ cup water
2 14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups 1% low-fat milk
4 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup), divided
½ cup light sour cream
4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1. Place bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towel to drain. Crumble when cool.
2. Leave 2 teaspoons of the bacon drippings in pan. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
3. Place potato slices and cooked onion into a 5-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Add water, chicken broth, salt and pepper to the slow cooker and stir to mix. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
4. Mash the mixture with a potato masher. Stir in milk and 3/4 cup cheese. Increase cooker heat to HIGH, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until soup is thoroughly heated.
5. Ladle soup into 8 bowls, dividing the sour cream and remaining ¼ cup of cheese among them. Sprinkle each with bacon and chives.
1 cup soup, 1 tablespoon sour cream,
1 teaspoon bacon, ½ teaspoon chives)
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.