Clay Pot Roasted ChickenMany people receive clay pots as a wedding or housewarming gift and don’t use them often. This dramatic spin on baked chicken makes full use of the moist-heat cookware and uses a wet rub of crushed lemon sections and herbs to infuse deeper flavor. If you don’t own a clay pot, use a Dutch oven, eliminate step 2 (soaking), and bake in a preheated 350° oven.
Saturated fat: 1.9g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
• 2 lemons
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon dried basil
• 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 (5-pound) roasting chicken
1. Peel and section lemons, reserving the peels and setting them aside. In a bowl, combine lemon sections with remaining ingredients (except chicken), and mash with a fork.
2. Immerse the top and bottom of a 2-quart clay cooking pot in water for 10 minutes. Empty pot, and drain well.
3. Remove and discard the giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim away any excess fat.
4. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub lemon mixture under and over the loosened skin.
5. Tie ends of legs together. Place lemon peel in body cavity. Place chicken, breast side up, in bottom of clay pot, and cover with top of clay pot.
6. Place clay pot on center rack of cold oven, then set the oven to 450°. Bake chicken for 50 minutes, and remove the top of the pot. (Check that the chicken is done: A meat thermometer should register 180°. If it isn’t done, replace the top and continue to cook.)
7. Preheat the broiler. (Do not move the oven rack.)
8. Broil chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Carefully remove clay pot from oven. Remove chicken from clay pot and place on a platter. Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Discard skin before serving.
Servings: 8 (3 ounces of chicken per serving)
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.