Ecuadorean CevichePESCATARIAN DIETS
This classic Central American dish is packed with all the flavor of shrimp, which are lightly poached to tenderness. The ceviche is traditionally served with roasted salted corn nuts, which can be sprinkled on top of each serving, but it’s equally as good served over shredded lettuce as an entrée salad.
Total Fat 9 g
Satfat 1.5 g
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrate 21 g
Fiber 4 g
Cholesterol 180 mg
Iron 2 mg
Sodium 880 mg
Sugar 6 g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
2½ pounds small (36/40) whole shrimp, heads and tails on
3 medium red onions, sliced very thinly
Juice of 10 medium limes
Juice of 1 medium orange
1 medium red pepper
1 medium jalapeño
1 medium tomato
1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 teaspoons ketchup
¼ cup olive oil
1. Clean and devein shrimp and set aside. Reserve shells and heads.
2. Add shrimp shells and heads to 1 quart water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and allow to boil gently for 5 – 10 minutes. Pour stock through a strainer, retaining stock in a saucepan and discarding shells/heads. Bring strained stock back to a boil.
3. Place cleaned and deveined shrimp in the boiling stock pot for about 45 seconds to poach the shrimp. Use a slotted spoon to remove shrimp from liquid, placing them in an ice bath to stop them from cooking further. Place shrimp stock in the refrigerator to chill.
4. Mix sliced onions and lime juice in a nonreactive bowl (glass or stainless steel). Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes. Add chopped cilantro, then add orange juice and mix well.
5. Cut each chilled shrimp into three equal pieces and add to the onion mix. Stir and allow to marinate. Meanwhile, roast the red pepper, jalapeño and tomato.
6. Once roasted, remove the skins, seeds and veins from the pepper and jalapeño. Remove the seeds and skins from the tomato. Place pepper, jalapeño and tomato in a blender and purée until smooth.
7. Add puree to the marinated onion-shrimp mixture, then add the chilled shrimp stock. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
8. Stir in ketchup and olive oil. Mix well and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.