Fast Black Bean BurgerThis recipe is for the patty alone, which is a flavorful alternative to beef or turkey burgers. Serve them on a whole wheat bun with spicy ketchup, cheese, spinach leaves and an avocado slice (add 50 calories for about one fifth of an avocado) and you’ve got a new burger hit in about 10 minutes flat!
Total fat: 12.3g
Saturated fat: 1.3g
Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
1 (2-ounce) hamburger bun, torn into pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
¾ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1. Place bun in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients.
3. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty. Place patties on a clean plate.
4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned.
5. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes more or until bottom edges are done.
1 patty per person
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.