Pumpkin-Spinach BakeThis side dish is packed with the earthy flavors of fresh pumpkin, ground nutmeg and spinach – and creaminess from shredded cheese. Choose a pie pumpkin for a mellow pumpkin flavor – or use butternut squash if you prefer.
Saturated fat: 2.5g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
6 cups peeled, cubed fresh pumpkin (2 pounds)
1½ cups thinly sliced onion
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups low-salt chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon pepper
¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Cook pumpkin in boiling water 8 minutes or until tender. Then drain and set aside. Or roast pumpkin until tender for a richer flavor.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove onion from skillet, and set aside.
3. Add flour to skillet. Gradually whisk in broth until blended. Stir constantly, cooking over medium heat until thick and bubbly, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
4. Combine pumpkin, onion, ¼ cup cheese, and spinach in a bowl. Spoon pumpkin mixture into a 6-cup gratin dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Pour sauce over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining ½ cup cheese.
6. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly, then broil an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.