Quick Summer Squash PicklesWondering what to do with all that squash you planted? Pickle it! It’s OK to use just zucchini or just yellow squash in this recipe, but the combination of the two makes a more appetizing display.
Saturated fat: 0.0
Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
¾ pound zucchini, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
¾ pound yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
½ cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Arrange zucchini and squash slices on rack; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Rinse the salted squashes under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Place onion and squash slices in a medium glass bowl.
3. In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1 teaspoon salt, water, vinegar, maple syrup and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil.
4. Pour hot liquid over vegetables. Place a plate on the vegetables to keep them submerged in the liquid. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. Drain to a serving bowl or serve with a slotted spoon.
Serves 12 – about ¼ cup each
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.