A frittata is similar to an omelet – it’s egg-based and fortified with cheeses, vegetables and meats. This recipe makes the most of fresh asparagus at its peak of flavor. If you can’t find Gruyere, use Swiss cheese. And to cut down on fat and cholesterol, use an egg substitute or separate yolks out of the eggs, and use lower fat cheese.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
1 cup sliced asparagus
(about 10 spears, trimmed)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ pound Gruyere cheese, in small cubes
• Preheat broiler
• Microwave asparagus in a little water until it’s just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
• In a large ovenproof non-stick skillet, heat oil for 30 seconds. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add asparagus and cook for another 2 minutes.
• In a bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper.
• Pour eggs over vegetables in the skillet and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or until eggs are almost set.
• Sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted.
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.