Strawberry GranitaYou don’t ned a bulky ice cream maker to churn out this homemade frozen treat! Plus, kids can help with the preparation, adding to their delight in this cool, inexpensive dessert.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
16 ounces fresh, ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
¾ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1½ cups water
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1. Place an 8-inch square baking pan (brownie pan) in the freezer to pre-chill.
2. In a food processor or blender, puree strawberries with sugar and salt. Add water and lemon juice and pulse to combine all ingredients.
3. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to separate out the solids as you capture the liquid in a glass bowl. Use a wooden spoon to press the mixture down, extracting as much liquid as possible.
4. Pour the liquid into the cold baking pan. Cover pan tightly with foil and freeze on a flat surface for about 1 hour, or until ice crystals begin to form on the edges.
5. Use a fork to stir the mixture well, breaking up chunks and mixing ice into the liquid.
6. Continue to freeze and scrape ice crystals into center with a fork every 30 minutes for 2½ - 3 hours until the granita is still slightly slushy but granular.
7. To serve: Use the fork to scrape across the surface of the granita, moving ice shards into bowls or glasses. Serve immediately.
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.