Taos Black BeansWhen the whole family is running in different directions, it’s crock-pot season! These beans make a meal in a bowl, or a great side dish with any roasted fish or meat.
Total fat 4.4 g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
1-pound package dried black beans
3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
2 cups finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 1 cup)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels
1. Sort and wash beans, removing any cracked beans and small stones.
2. Place beans in a large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and allow beans to stand for 1 hour.
3. Drain beans and place them in a 3-quart crock pot or slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, onion, chipotle, salt and garlic. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours or until beans are tender.
4. Stir in lime juice. Mash bean mixture with a potato masher until slightly thickened.
5. Sprinkle each serving with queso fresco, cilantro, and pumpkinseed kernels.
Serves 14, ½ cup beans, 1 tablespoon cheese, 1½ teaspoons of cilantro and 1 ½ teaspoons of pumpkinseeds each
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.