Tuna Mac CasseroleIf you miss the sinfully rich tuna casserole of yesteryear, you’ll love discovering this lower-fat version. It’s just as easy to make too, and ideal to keep on hand during school vacations.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
4½ ounces (about 1¼ cups) uncooked high-fiber elbow macaroni
3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
2 cups sliced mushrooms
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen peas
6 ounces albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
4 wedges of The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
3 slices fat-free American cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions, about 8 minutes.
2. Place cauliflower in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Uncover and stir. Re-cover and microwave for another 2 - 3 minutes, until it is hot. Drain in a colander then return to the bowl and roughly chop the cauliflower. Cover to keep warm.
3. Drain pasta and add to the cauliflower. Cover to keep warm.
4. Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and place on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to skillet and sprinkle with salt. Stir and cook until mushrooms are softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Add peas to mushrooms, cooking and stirring until hot, about 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to the large bowl with the pasta and cauliflower. Add tuna, and mix thoroughly.
6. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine cheese wedges and cheese slices, breaking them into pieces. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, or until cheeses have melted. Stir well and add cheese to the other ingredients in the large bowl.
7. Thoroughly stir mixture. If necessary, microwave again until it reaches the temperature you like.
Serves 4 (about 1¾ cups each)
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.