Vegetable CalzonesThis ideal meat-free meal is designed to be filling and delicious, and it’s flexible too. Use whatever small amounts of vegetables you have in the fridge or on the counter instead of what’s called for. Serve with a salad and fruit for dessert.
Saturated fat: 2g
Monounsaturated fat: 3g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT THIS RECIPE
3 asparagus stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
½ cup broccoli, chopped
½ sliced mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ pound frozen whole-wheat bread dough loaf, thawed
1 medium tomato, sliced
½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
⅔ cup pizza sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Mix asparagus, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and garlic in a medium bowl. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over the vegetables and toss to mix well.
3. Heat a large, nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and sauté 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. On a floured surface, cut the bread dough in half. Press each half into a circle. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an oval.
5. Place half of the sautéed vegetables, half of the tomato slices and ¼ cup cheese on half of the oval.
6. Wet your finger with water and rub the edge of the dough that has the filling on it. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling, pressing the edges together. Roll the edges and then press them down with a fork to seal the calzone. Place the calzone on the prepared baking sheet.
7. Repeat to make the other calzone.
8. Brush the top of the calzones with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
9. Heat the pizza sauce in the microwave or in a stovetop pan.
10. Place each calzone on a plate and serve with sauce.
Serves 2 (one calzone and ⅓ cup pizza sauce each)
If it meets our criteria,
we’ll publish it on
the FitFamily site!
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT
Get recipes from the
FitFamily archives!If you missed any
of our previously
to view them.